Monday, October 21, 2019

When you don't "appreciate" test results

I had my 3 month PET/CT on October 10 followed by a CT on October 11 to rule out a blood clot.  Unfortunately, as my blood work trend was showing, the cancer in my liver has increased significantly.  When I met with Dr. J. last Thursday she asked if I wanted to see the pictures from my Pet/CT so I could "appreciate" how involved the right lobe of my liver has become.  I made her stammer a bit when I said I didn't "appreciate" the results but that I'd look at the pictures.  Language matters and sometimes even doctor's don't know quite what to say.

I  have a liver biopsy scheduled for October 29.  In about 15-20% of cases the pathology of the cancer can mutate.  If mine has become HER2 positive, it opens up more options for treatment.  If it hasn't then there's one IV chemo that I haven't had yet for my type. 

Frustration is an understatement when it comes to this.  Physically, I feel so much better than I did last spring and summer.  As those who saw my Facebook post last week, I was even able to get out into nature on my own last week.  Yes, I was scolded for doing it alone, but for me it was a huge milestone.  The opportunity to breath deep and enjoy the breeze in the trees was priceless.  Nature mentally heals me and I needed that time. 

For those that pray, I covet your prayers for this biopsy.  A mutation would be good news from a medical standpoint even if it means adjusting to another treatment.  Every new treatment is a challenge and I never know what to expect until I do it.  However, I'm not ready to stop all together yet.  It isn't easy knowing what's the right path to take or the right options to choose.  I use my faith and research to guide my decisions. 


No comments: