Friday, September 6, 2019

A New Normal

As September is underway, I am adjusting to this "new normal" in my life of not working.  I can already feel a difference with the absence of work stress and the addition of regular exercise into my life.

I loved my job as an educator and for 34 years it has defined my daily life.  I've never regretted the decision to work with teens as a math teacher and as a teacher librarian.  Both were fulfilling and life affirming.  The vast number of students that crossed my path have taught me as much as I ever taught them.  BUT I don't miss some of the politics and annoyances that come with any job.  Mandates, people that think the processes/procedures don't apply to them, people that don't follow through (yep still waiting on paperwork from HR to file disability), equipment failures, software glitches and never enough time to do everything that needs to be done.  Those things I don't miss.  Colleagues that greet you with a smile and great conversation, teenagers with all their angst and drama that remind you there is hope for the future.  Those things I miss.

Meanwhile, my calendar has been full.  Two days/week of exercise class and I already feel the difference with more energy and the ability to do more of the routine that I hadn't done in months--running my own errands, laundry, walking to the mail box, putting out garbage cans, unloading the dishwasher.  All things so many of us take for granted as annoying chores that just have to get done.  I'm now grateful I can do them.  I've been able to spend time with others.  Dinners out with friends.  Lunch with longtime friends that started as colleagues in 1985.  Going to the park with a 4 year old and almost 2 year old and their Mom to chase bubbles followed by lunch at McDonalds.  Time with my parents to catch up on family after they'd been away for the family reunion in Oregon for a week.  Phone conversations that can go past 9 on a school night so I'm not grumpy the next day.

Yes, the cancer is still ever present in my life.  Doctor's appointments and blood work and medications are still happening.  Side effects that hit when you least expect it.   My latest blood work still shows increasing tumor markers and my liver functions are still elevated although down slightly.  I will have another PET/CT on October 10. 

Looking forward, my carport repair will finally happen, one of my college roommates and her husband are flying in for a long weekend and I have a former colleague's wedding to celebrate this month.

If you have time--stop and blow bubbles and watch your stress float away.  Picture credit:  Kumi Nishida.




No comments: