Saturday, August 24, 2019

Small steps lead to bigger steps

Every step counts when you're trying to move forward and that's what I've been attempting to do over the last few weeks. While it's been odd not returning to work, as many of my retiree friends have said, I've been so busy there's been little time to dwell on not working. 

My liver numbers for blood-work continue to be elevated and my tumor markers continue to creep upwards which are signs that the cancer is not settling down in that area.  After I saw Dr. J. last week and the latest round of blood tests returned, she recommends three cycles of the Xeloda and then I'll have another PET/CT to see my status.  It continues to be frustrating and disheartening as I feel so much better than I did last spring.

The feeling better is signs of progress.  I started the exercise course for cancer survivors at the Y.  Four days so far and I'm already amazed at what I can do.  For someone who couldn't walk the length of her house or the library at work without being out of breath in June, being able to do anything is an accomplishment.  They started with an evaluation and no surprise that my lower body strength was limited and my balance is not good either.  So those are the areas that I hope will improve over time.  We do 20-30 minutes of cardio (if you arrive early you do more) and they are slowly training us on resistance machines.  While I've been a bit sore the next day, it hasn't been as bad as I had feared. 

My own markers indicate my improvement too--a successful walk to/from the mailboxes, a trip to Target, shopping the farmer's market on Saturday mornings, going to Petco for cat supplies, standing for one of the worship songs in church, not using the cane when I'm out and about.  All things I couldn't do in June or July.  Slowly testing myself to see what else I can do.

Finally, despite Kaiser's slowness in processing the order, I got my compression garments this past week.  It's like trying to stuff a sausage for some of them, but I wore them for Wednesday's exercise class and could tell the difference.  I met with the physical therapist and she recommends wearing them for exercise but I don't need them everyday.  If I fly, travel to high altitude, decide to do heavy cleaning or see an increase in swelling then I need to wear them more often.  She remeasured me compared to when I saw her in June and my thighs are down 7 cm. and my arms are down 3 cm.  Just the exercises, lymphatic massage, and discontinuing steroids and Taxotere have helped tremendously. 

So I will continue to move forward living my life and being grateful for these small steps that lead to bigger ones.  Someone asked me if I had any travel plans since I'm not working.  I haven't gotten to that point yet but maybe soon I'll be able to plan an adventure.  There are still some details to work out in regards to work and eventual retirement but that's a September task.

As always my thanks to all of you who have sent encouraging messages, prayers and reached out to keep me busy so I don't dwell on the negative.  It's not always easy living life but I know that so many have their own challenges and this just happens to be mine. 



No comments: