Monday, January 28, 2019

Cancer treatment isn't fun and neither are colds...

As some of you may have seen on Facebook, my new treatment regimen was postponed until last week due to a cold that came on after Christmas.  The joys of a compromised immune system, it took two rounds of antibiotics and multiple days of rest to be able to smell and taste things and stop coughing.  Finally, last Monday my sense of smell returned and by Wednesday the cough had subsided to only an occasional tickle and no need for cough medicine.  I do enjoy the humidifier's benefits and Vick's Vapor Rub remains a good old standby.

On Wednesday 1/23 I began the premeds for the new treatment.  Steroids twice a day for three days will not help the weight, but if it helps with allergic reactions we do what we have to do even with a lovely red glow that looks like I've been drinking for hours on end.  Thursday afternoon, Mom drove me to Kaiser for the new treatment.  Taxotere will be administered every 21 days.  The infusions lasts about 90 minutes and since it's immediate side effects can be dizziness and disorientation (apparently alcohol is a part of the mix) a driver is recommended.  I didn't notice either of those effects but better safe than sorry.  Thursday evening and Friday, I was pretty much ok.  Slight headache and general fatigue but otherwise not too bad.  Saturday, I began to feel more achy and uncomfortable and by Sunday the achy feeling was much worse.  I just couldn't get comfortable.  Unfortunately all of my "good drugs" were expired and the Tylenol only took the edge off.  The best thing was sitting in a warm bathtub for an hour.  The heat helped.  My taste buds are affected and trying to find food that appeals is a challenge, but I did manage to eat.  Luckily the nausea/vomitting side effect didn't hit me too.

Today, I went to work.  Achy still but not as bad as yesterday but I'm sure the distraction of work helps take the mind off of it.  As the afternoon wore on, I did feel more uncomfortable but know that a hot bath is available later.  My dear friend Sandy, made a grocery store run and brought me some Werther's hard candies which helps the yucky mouth. 

Next round is Valentine's Day.  Hopefully, some of this yuck was due to the residual of my cold that lingered forever.  The hair usually starts falling out about day 14 after treatment, so I still have that joy to come.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hugs my friend...love you!