Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Cancer is a roller coaster ride of emotions and it's not an easy one.  I know that many have commented on my positive attitude and how I keep going.  I know my faith has a lot to do with it but honestly I do have those down moments and the last few weeks has seen several of those. 

As I mentioned in my previous post, the results of my latest scan were mixed with further progression of cancerous spots in my liver.  My oncologist in consultation with the breast cancer oncologist at Santa Clara Kaiser have recommended switching to one of two different drugs.  Still chemotherapy and still attempting to get at those rogue cells that won't go away.
After my research, discussions with Mom, discussion with my support group, and asking one of the oncology nurses I've known for 8 years what she observes with the two drugs, I will be switching to a new chemo on January 3.  Taxotere every three weeks with an infusion time of approximately one hour.  It's a stronger drug with more severe side effects (going bald in January is going to be cold). Hopefully it will do it's job and knock those cells down so I can move back to a drug that's more tolerable.

Each change gets more challenging as this is now the 12th different treatment that we've tried.  The reality is my choices are more and more limited as there's nothing new on the horizon for my type of cancer despite the commercials on TV. 

Meanwhile, I will keep plugging along...Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas. 

1 comment:

AdrienneC1 said...

When you lose your hair, you can use it as an excuse to try out different hairstyles with wigs. You’ll save money on shampoo and haircuts. If your head is cold, you can wear really cute hats!