Almost to the day, my hair began coming out in larger clumps 14 days post treatment. I managed the best I could and dug out the hats, scarves and chemo beanies. My wardrobe colors have changed in three years since I last wore the chemo beanies, so I ordered some new ones to coordinate with my current wardrobe.
My second round of Taxotere was Thursday 2/14--Happy Valentine's Day. Mom drove me and the infusion went smoothly. Similar to last time, the immediate effects were feeling tired and a bit off. Friday morning I went to see my hairdresser, Alene and she buzzed my hair so I didn't have to continue fighting the clumps of hair and more shedding than the cat. It's a bit chilly especially with the cold weather, but the buzz cut is working much better. It doesn't take anytime to get ready with no hair to fuss over. The cat likes to perch behind me in the chair and while she is warm, it's turned into a bit of a fight over exactly how she wants to stretch out. This is one of her favorite positions. You won't see me venture outside the house without something on my head but here's the buzz cut.By Saturday, like last time, the steroids wore off and the achiness began to set in late in the day. Again a warm bath helps and the doctor had given me a stronger pain medication which I took Saturday and Sunday night which helped me to sleep better. Most of Sunday & Monday I spent huddled under a blanket to stay warm, watching TV and trying to be as comfortable as possible. This week is our February vacation, so I could indulge my laziness with reading and binge watching TV.
By Tuesday, the worst of the aches had begun to subside so I met my friend Sheri for lunch at Pacific Catch at Pruneyard. My salmon bowl and Miso soup hit the spot even with the funky tastebuds. My mouth remains a bit sensitive but hydration, sucking on hard candy or ice, and rinsing with salt/baking soda make it manageable. It's hard to find food that appeals.
Today, (Thursday) I went for acupuncture in the morning to hopefully work on the neuropathy that is beginning to creep into my fingers and toes. If nothing else it's a relaxing 30 minutes with soft piano music. The acupuncturist suggests going right before/after chemo so I will do it again on March 7 before my next treatment.
My vacation has sped quickly and hasn't really felt like much of a vacation, but I'm thankful for the time off and the ability to nap, read, watch TV, go out or stay home on my own schedule. I accomplished completing my taxes on the time off. More money headed to the feds than usual but luckily most of my state return will cover what I owe.
Thanks for your continued prayers, kind words and support. There's nothing "to do" to help but knowing I have so many that care helps me to keep moving forward. Three more days of vacation before returning to work on Monday, so I'm going to enjoy the next few days. Mom and I have lunch planned at an unexplored restaurant tomorrow, so looking forward to trying out somewhere new.
1 comment:
Hang in there. I know those feelings. Take care.
Post a Comment