Friday, June 22, 2018

Round 1 Begins

Yesterday began Round 1 of this new treatment plan.  My morning started with 4 pretty blue pills that I will take every day for 14 days.  No immediate issues with these.  Possible side effects include bladder/kidney issues unless I keep water flowing in, mouth sores, lowered immune system and sun-sensitivity. 

The two white pills are the steroid I take 30 minutes before chemo starts to help manage any side effects.  I only take those on the day of the IV treatment.  Side effects of this I'm familiar with a lovely red glow today and an appetite that wants to be satisfied.  That will last until tomorrow.

The infusion center was full and running behind, so things started a little late.  The two medications I'm getting are push medications which means the nurse injects them into the IV line over a short period of time.  Once I got in and got started it was only about 45 minutes start to finish.  Possible side effects from these--nausea and other gastrointestinal issues, eventual hair loss/thinning, stay out of the sun without strong protection, fatigue and low blood counts.

This morning, I feel pretty good just a slight headache and the steroid "glow".  Of course, medication effects are cumulative so it's still early days.  I'm grateful that it wasn't a bad first day because that makes me more hopeful for the ongoing days. 

Meanwhile, my brother is in town until Sunday so planning to head to the parents' for dinner tonight and maybe a trip to the coast tomorrow. 

Thanks so much for the cards, messages, prayers and words of encouragement that I've received.  I know all of  those things help me keep my positive attitude going.

2 comments:

Carol S. said...

Thinking of you Miss LeighAnn---and keeping you in my prayers always. Thanks to your parents for sharing the link to your blog. Hugs from Carol (Shamus) Ackerman <3

Unknown said...

Sending hugs!