Thursday, July 5, 2007

Week 5 Thing 11--Google Docs

I decided to play with this option because of my summer school class. I'm using another blog as a webpage for assignments because I don't have server access at the new school yet. I've been frustrated because there wasn't a way to link documents because I didn't have a server to upload to, so absent students have to wait until they return to get the makeup work.

I decided to upload an existing worksheet to google docs so I could see the quality and how it might work in the classroom setting. While the math symbols didn't translate perfectly, it's acceptable enough for the student who is absent or lost a paper. It would work for documents that are straight text.

I can see a lot of positives here for collaboration. You can make the documents available to others for editing. Working with a teacher collaborator you could both edit in real time and not have to worry about emailing back and forth newly edited versions.

Another possibility is to have some "standard" worksheets that teachers might want to use across the curriculum. They could then have easy access and be able to edit and modify for their own headers.

As a classroom teacher I was often borrowing from colleagues, but would often retype or literally cut and paste to make it fit my class. This would be a great way for teachers within the same department to share documents. While many schools have common server files, staff cannot always access those files from home.

The possibilities here are endless.

2 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Your summer school classs blog is a great example of how to make your assignments accessible to students from home, a friend's house, or public library -- no excuses for not knowing what's what.

Keep on enjoying your summer 2.0 fun. Best wishes.

Joan Tracy said...

I agree with your assessment of Googledocs. I have recommended it to students doing group projects. It allows sharing in real time. I have been looking at Zoho as well and am impressed by it ,too.
Also, I love the cat sketch.