Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Hospice

One of my Facebook friends and former colleagues posted this picture over the weekend and while I'm trying to focus on the "Fact" the Myth is sure swirling these last several days.

After discussion with Dr. J and family, I have made the decision to discontinue any further treatment for my cancer.  The liver is so compromised trying another medication doesn't make much sense.  Dr. J. recommends comfort care to keep me as comfortable as possible as long as possible and no one knows what that time frame looks like. 

This has moved me into Kaiser's Hospice care.  We met with the intake nurse on Saturday which was overwhelming and my mental state has surely taken a hit over this.  Also, my stomach issues continue with the vomitting/naseau and discomfort so that doesn't help me in processing either.  Mom is staying with me.  Dad covers during the day so she can do some things.  Cliff flew in from Missouri Sunday which is a blessing too. 

Monday some work friends came to visit on their Veteran's Day holiday which was nice. 

Nothing is eminent and this week is about figuring out next steps and hopefully getting this pain stuff under control as well as the other symptoms.  Hospice is available for 6 months and can extend beyond that so timing is really unknown.  As I said ot my friends yesterday, I don't want everyone rushing over now for a "wake" and then still be here in June.  I know Nazarene's don't have "wakes" but I'm not departing this earth quite yet.  Still you need to know that this is now the phase of this horrid disease that I am facing.

As always, prayers, good thoughts, and anything else you want to send my way in helping me find peace I appreciate beyond words.  Much love!


No comments: