Saturday, April 20, 2019

Wigs and worries

I posted a pic on Facebook this morning with me wearing the wig I got from Cancer Carepoint this week.  They provided a wig, hat and halo (picture a bald man's fringe on the sides) all for free.  My friend Sheri went with me to give her advice.  I decided I wanted one for David's wedding next Saturday, so that if there are any pictures with me I appear to have hair.  It's a little warm and itchy, so I will still use my chemo caps too.  Around the house I just rock the bald look.

I saw the doctor on Thursday and she confirmed the positive scan results and my tumor markers continue to trend down.  Those are good things for this drug, so I will continue for at least another three months.  We are going to move to a four week schedule so my next chemo won't be until May 16.  Hopefully, this will give me a little more break from some of the side effects.  The acupuncture is helping with neuropathy in the feet and relieves the hands a bit too.

I'm frustrated with breathlessness that seems to be getting worse.  I made a Target run on Wednesday for just a few things and had to stop twice to rest. I know it's the weight gain and inactivity that are contributing to the problem.  After chemo, one of the medical assistants walked me to check my Oxygen levels.  I had to stop twice circling the building once, but they deemed my level fine. The doctor ordered some additional tests to rule out issues because it is interfering with my day-to-day activities.  So a CT scan on Wednesday afternoon 4/24.  The pulmonary function test isn't available until the end of May.  The echo-cardiogram hasn't been scheduled yet.  They told me to call and I got a voicemail and no return call so I will try again on Monday.  Meanwhile, I am going to try to move more, not panic, and focus on my nutrition despite the wonky tastebuds.

Spring Break was restful, but uneventful.  Back to work on Monday for three days, then my Thursday appointments (acupuncture and support group). Friday, I head out with Mom and Dad for wedding weekend.  Cliff flies into Sacramento Friday afternoon.  Wedding Saturday afternoon and then home on Sunday.  Hopefully, the side effects won't knock me down too much and I'll be able to enjoy.

I will miss Easter Services and dinner tomorrow, because Sunday's are my worst day for aches/pain but I hope that those that celebrate have a Happy Easter.  As always, thanks for the support--reading. listening and helping me navigate this crazy disease.





No comments: