Today was scan day which carries it's own set of issues. When the tech greeted me, he was quite excited to share it was a "new machine" and that meant more accurate results. My internal reaction was "oh no!" as usually it means more precision and thus the results look worse not better. The new machine meant new trailer so now the little prep room holds two patients. The tech was a great stick so he was able to find my vein with no issues and the radioactive glucose amount is less so no scary looking metal encased syringe but a regular looking syringe that isn't quite so intimidating. Then the marinating for 45 minutes while the glucose makes its way through your system. The new machine has a larger diameter so it didn't feel quite as closed in going through the tube and the scan time was shorter.
So, all that to say the new machine also led to early results. Dr. J already emailed me to let me know that the medication is working and most areas are stable and even some improvements. I'll know a bit more when I see her face-to-face next Thursday but it means this drug has been effective. It's been a lot tougher to manage the frustrations of the side effects with this drug but if it's working and I can still live my life, I'm grateful.
Doctor did mention the possibility of moving to a 4 week (28 day) cycle if the scan was good. My hope and prayer is that this was good enough to do that. Having an extra seven days to recover would be good. Right now, I have about 10-14 days of yuck with different side effects at different points. Just as I start to be able to taste things, get my energy back and feel almost "normal" it's time to start the process all over again.
Meanwhile, Sharks are in the playoffs and I will join Dad for our first round game tomorrow. Next week is Spring Break and sunny weather is predicted, so I hope to enjoy the early part of the week before chemo on Thursday. Unfortunately, the post chemo aches and pains, mean I will most likely miss Easter services and dinner as Sundays are usually my hardest day physically. The weekend after Spring Break, my nephew, David is getting married so despite my side effects I will be with the family in the Sacramento area to celebrate! There is more good than bad in my life and I need to keep the focus on the positive despite how I feel some days!
Thanks my friends and family for reading and continuing to support me with your good thoughts and prayers. That gives me more strength to keep on keeping on then you'll ever know.

1 comment:
I know the anxiety of scan day via Brian and my bff Natalie. Love your point about how much more it can pick up now. Double edge sword, but knowing what and where to treat is of course good news. And love that they didn't keep you waiting and wondering til Thursday. Keeping you in my prayers as always -- today on palm sunday and I'll say and extra one for you next week knowing you can't be there yourself! Happy early Easter.
Eileen
Post a Comment