Thursday, May 23, 2019

Patience and baby steps

Patience and baby steps have become my go to words the last several weeks as I've been working through this health setback.  The GREAT news is that I am moving forward and the crisis time has passed.  Things are not 100% but they are way better than they were on April 30th when I went to the ER.

The diuretic increase made a huge difference and the swollen feet and ankles have reduced greatly.  They aren't completely "normal" but I've lost 15 pounds and can walk again without stopping every few feet.  Mom's healthy cooking has helped too! I'm still breathless with any distance but so much better than before.

Chemo on 5/16 proceeded as before and Dr. J was hopeful that what we are doing will continue to work.  This week the "normal" side effects have happened but no new surprises.

I met with Pulmonologist on 5/17.  While there is some restriction to my airflow, she thinks its related to deconditioning as a result of ongoing treatment and less movement.  Using the inhaler and oxygen help.  Summer focus needs to be increasing my movement and getting up and walking more.  It's frustrating to not be able to walk normally and those "baby steps" where I can only go short distances take a lot of patience.

I returned to work for two days this week (Tuesday/Wednesday).  I arrived about 7 a.m. and left at 1:30 both days, lasting through student lunch.  Today is my support group later and my regular sick day.  I'm taking Friday just to continue to rest and give my body time to recover.  My hope is to work three days next week and everyday the final week of school.

Mom and Dad have been phenomenal through all of this.  I am so lucky that they are healthy and able to step up for me as they have.  I should be caring for "aging parents" at this stage of my life not them caring for me but couldn't have made it through the last several weeks without them.  Mom returned home yesterday and I managed just fine.  I'm slow and not as efficient as she is but it's that first step to independence.

They say bad things come in threes, so just to add to the health issues, the ongoing carport repair issues, the dishwasher decided to mysteriously turn itself on yesterday and wouldn't go off. Dad came by after my attempts to make it stop and couldn't get it to stop either.  So, turned off the breaker and Dad will greet a repair person next week for me.  I think my limit has been reached for now!!!!

Thank you so much to all who have reached out via text, email, cards and in-person.  You'll never know how much that has helped keep me going.  I am blessed and need to remember that.



No comments: