I never posted this even though I wrote it back in late April. It's still appropriate so I'll post it now.
Spring is here and my library has been taken over for testing central. I have mixed feelings about our school testing environment. Do we need to evaluate what students are learning, absolutely? But the financial hold the testing companies have that lead to 5 days occupied by state testing comprising of 15 hours of bubbling in answers seems very excessive. That doesn't include the 6 hours of exit exam testing which also occurs. Then add in makeup exams for which the library is the only space available for large groups and the students who use the library as "home base" during their free time cannot access home.
Spring calls to mind weeds and yards. I'm doing a massive weeding project this spring in anticipation of a remodel next year. Weeding challenges my library skills versus my love of books. It's heartbreaking to see how many books have been here since the 1970's that have never once been checked out. Someone selected it for a reason for the collection. Someone thought it had value at one time. Someone decided it was appropriate for a teenager. Some of the books inspire laughter--Decorate your Jeans with floral embroidery was a big hit for laughing at those 70's styles. Planning your wedding and the 80's hair on the bride gave us a good laugh. But what about that book on the Kennedy brother's? Do I keep it or throw it? After all one was a president, the other hoped to be president. But no one has checked it out and you can find plenty online.
No comments:
Post a Comment